Posted By Thomas Perez. June 6, 2011 at 9:10pm. Copyright 2011.
The meaning of sanctification is the very work of the Holy Spirit. Sanctification and holiness are the same in essence. The basic meaning of sanctification is separation (Psa 4:5). To be set apart by God, for God, from sin onto holiness (Heb 12:14).
A. There Are 3 Aspects to Sanctification:
1. Positional Sanctification
This is possessed by every believer. From the moment of conversion, he/she has perfect standing in holiness. (Eph 1:4,7, 14, I Cor 6:11) As in the past and present tense.
2. Progressive Sanctification
The daily growth in grace becoming in practice more and more set apart for God’s use (Jn 17:17, I Cor 3:1-2, Eph 5:26, I Pet 2:2). As in the present tense only.
3. Ultimate Sanctification
This is attained only when we are fully and completely set apart to God at the resurrection of the just. When the corruptible shall put on the incorruptible. Forever being separated from evil and sin. When death is destroyed (I Cor 15: 26, Eph 5:26-27). As in the future tense.
B. The Author of Our Sanctification Is:
1. God the Father (I Thess 5:23-24)
2. God the Son (Eph 5:26)
3. God the Holy Spirit (I Thess 2:13)
C. How Are We Sanctified?
1. By the Word (Jn 17:17)
2. By the blood (Heb 13:12) the Word reveals the sin. The blood cleanses it away. The result is sanctification!
3. By chastisement (Heb 12:10-11)
4. By yielding to God (Rom 6:19)
5. By choice (II Cor 7:1, Rom 6:22)
D. How Can I Maintain a Sanctified Walk?
1. Walk in the Spirit (Gal 5:16, Rom 8:14)
2. Resist the Devil (James 4:7)
3. Realize you’ve got power (Lk 10:19, I Jn 4:4, 5:18)
4. Get rid of sin in your life (Rom 6:12, I Jn 1:9, 2:1)
5. Pray to keep from sins power (Matt 26:41)
6. Guard your thoughts (II Cor 10:5, Phil 4:8, Rom 12:1-2)
7. Abstain from fleshly lusts (I Pet 2:11)
8. Overcome the world (I Jn 5:4, 2:15-16, James 4:4)
9. Do that which is good (Isa 32:17, Rom 12:9, 21)
10. Be faithful (II Tim 2:1-2, Heb 3:12-13, 10:25)
11. Keep in the Word daily (Psa 119:9, 11)
12. Be a witness (I Cor 9:16, Mk 16:15, II Cor 5:20)